Dark Chocolate Orange Townie With Amaretto Cream
- Yield: 24 servings
Almond Tart Shell
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Durkee® Vanilla Extract, Pure
- 1/2 tsp Spice Islands® Pure Almond Extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup ground sliced almonds
Amaretto Whip Cream
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp amaretto liquor
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 12 oz dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 to 3 tbsp freshly grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 tsp Durkee® Vanilla Extract, Pure
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 4 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
Candied Orange Slices
- 2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 navel oranges, sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
To make Almond Tart Shell, preheat oven to 350ºF. Pulse sugar, butter, salt and extracts in food processor. Add the flour and ground almonds, pulsing until it forms crumbs that cling together when squeezed. Press 1 1/2 cups of the crumb crust into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13-3/4 x 4-1/2 x 1-inch high fluted tart pan. Repeat with second pan.
Freeze crusts for 20 minutes. Bake the crusts for 14 minutes or until just starting to brown around the edges.
To make Brownie Filling, melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Bake the crusts for 14 minutes or until just starting to brown around the edges.
- Add sugar and stir well. Once the sugar is incorporated, add the chocolate, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat; add orange juice, peel and vanilla extract. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well. Using a mesh sieve (or a sifter), sift the corn starch, cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt into the chocolate mix. Using a hand mixer, beat on medium speed until the batter is smooth and shiny.
Fill the baked tart shells with the Brownie Filling almost to the top of the pan. (About 1 pound, 2 ounces for each crust.) Bake townies for another 20 to 25 minutes, until the brownie is semi-firm to touch. Place on a cooling rack and let cool for 45 minutes.
To make the Amaretto Whip Cream, beat the cream, sugar and amaretto in a chilled bowl with the wire whip on high for 2 minutes, until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until ready to plate the Dark Chocolate Orange Townie.
- To make the Candied Orange Slices, combine the water and sugar in a large skillet and bring to a boil. Add the orange slices and cook over moderate heat, turning them occasionally, until the liquid is reduced to a thin syrup and the orange slices are translucent, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer until the syrup is thick and the slices are tender but still intact, turning occasionally for about 10 minutes. Transfer the orange slices to a rack to cool.
- Remove the tart from the rim of the pan and let cool another 15 minutes. Cut townie into slices and serve with the Amaretto Cream and Candied Orange Slices.