Oxtail Ragu With Pappardelle
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds oxtails
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 9 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
- 3 Durkee® Bay Leaves, Whole
- 3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 pound, 12 ounces canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Durkee® Paprika, Spanish
- 1 tbsp Durkee® Parsley Flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp Durkee® Basil Leaf, Whole
- 1 tsp Durkee® Thyme, Leaves
- 1 tsp Durkee® Marjoram, Whole
- 1/2 tsp Durkee® Black Pepper, Regular Grind
- 1/2 tsp Durkee® Red Pepper, Crushed
- 1 pound, 8 ounces pappardelle noodles, cooked al dente
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a heavy-bottomed stockpot. Add the oxtails and brown on both sides. Remove from the oil.
- Add the carrots, celery, onions and garlic and cook until the vegetables begin to brown. Add the red wine and oxtails and bring to a simmer, uncovered. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, brown sugar and spices and cook for an additional 2 hours, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours more. Serve a couple of meaty pieces in sauce with pasta and garnish with fresh Parmesan cheese.